Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "hook & loop" system sucks!

wrote in
:

On Saturday, March 21, 1998 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Sigurd246 wrote:
i have a bosch 5" random orbit sander, with the "hook and loop"
system fo

fastening the sanding disk to the tool. i do alot of sanding with
this t

ool
and like its design. however i have had to replace the mounting pad
twic

e in
the last couple of months because the hook and loops wore out. at
$22 a

pop,
this could get expensive. i think that the old fashioned adhesive
backed

disks
would work better. question is, does bosch make a replacement disk,
wit

hout
the hook and loops. can't seem to find them in any tool supplier
catalog

ues.
i've tried to just stick the adhesive pads to the worn out hooks, but
it wouldn't hold. why do so many manufacturers use this system,
which doesn

't
seem to last, or is it just me?

Was this really posted in '98?

Is it that this problem is solved and no-one has this problem still?

I am not politically correct when it comes to the title!

I agree with the first post, I must be very heavy handed as I find
hook and loop does not last for me, and my wife must be equally heavy
handed as she finds exactly the same with her workshop tools.

Bosch PSM80 sander - £38 in the UK, £15 for the new hook and loop pad,
which last me 3 months. Also a dust collector with a paper filter,
the whole collector has to be replaced at£8 instead of a replaceable
paper filter.

Bosch PDA 100 delta sander - £14 for a plastic triangle with hook and
loop.

Bosch PMF 190E multi tool, £15 for a plastic triangle with hook and
loop.

At a time when environmental issues have at last been recognised why
does Bosch make energy friendly washing machines but resource wasting
workshop tools?

Not only that but I can't get spares for my 25 year old electric
plane!

Obviously not only am I heavy handed but I do not learn through
experience and seem to keep buying Bosch!

I'm curious... How often do you change the paper? Are you buying decent
paper?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.