Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] admin@understandmore.co.uk is offline

Default "hook & loop" system sucks!

On Saturday, March 21, 1998 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Sigurd246 wrote:
i have a bosch 5" random orbit sander, with the "hook and loop" system for
fastening the sanding disk to the tool. i do alot of sanding with this tool
and like its design. however i have had to replace the mounting pad twice in
the last couple of months because the hook and loops wore out. at $22 a pop,
this could get expensive. i think that the old fashioned adhesive backed disks
would work better. question is, does bosch make a replacement disk, without
the hook and loops. can't seem to find them in any tool supplier catalogues.
i've tried to just stick the adhesive pads to the worn out hooks, but it
wouldn't hold. why do so many manufacturers use this system, which doesn't
seem to last, or is it just me?

Was this really posted in '98?

Is it that this problem is solved and no-one has this problem still?

I am not politically correct when it comes to the title!

I agree with the first post, I must be very heavy handed as I find hook and loop does not last for me, and my wife must be equally heavy handed as she finds exactly the same with her workshop tools.

Bosch PSM80 sander - £38 in the UK, £15 for the new hook and loop pad, which last me 3 months. Also a dust collector with a paper filter, the whole collector has to be replaced at£8 instead of a replaceable paper filter.