Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Cool bit for Phillips screws

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:16:11 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/12/2015 12:19 PM, krw wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 06:48:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 2:52:39 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Jack wrote in
:

I'm not a fan of square bits. Torx works better, and to me,
looks better. I don't mind "quality" Phillips either, and they
look the best in most applications.

For looks, you can't beat straight slotted brass screws. That's
the way to go if you want the classical craftsman appearance.

The huge advantage of Torx is the bits are self-centering.

The disadvantage of Torx is that not everyone has a Torx bit.

Why? The bits aren't much more (if any) more expensive than
Phillips.

Because 90% of people that buy a screw driver only buy a straight or
Phillips. Only now are some of them familiar with square drive let
alone torx. And 99% still get by with simply a straight or Phillips
screw driver.

Time to get with the program. (I'd think people would be more aware
of Torx than Robertson/square).