Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Cool bit for Phillips screws

On 8/11/2015 3:00 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/11/15 1:50 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Jack wrote in :

I'm not a fan of square bits. Torx works better, and to me, looks
better. I don't mind "quality" Phillips either, and they look the best
in most applications.

For looks, you can't beat straight slotted brass screws.
That's the way to go if you want the classical craftsman
appearance.

The huge advantage of Torx is the bits are self-centering.
In a production enviroment, where some low-skill worker
with an air driver is trying to drive hundreds per day as
fast as possible, that's a big thing. That's why you see
Torx everywhere, and not Robertson or Allen head screws.

John

They help my high-skilled ass, too! :-)

I ran into something different on a little trailer I bought used. The
screws looked like Torx but none of my bits would fit. I wanted to
replace a few that were starting to rust. On very close inspection they
were 8 point. I emailed the manufacturer and they confirmed they were
"double square" screws. They suggested using a #2 square drive bit. It
fit perfectly.

Keep in mind some Torx screws are "security Torx. They have a small
round pin in the middle of the star in the screw head. Those require a
torx driver with a hole in the center of the end of the bit.