Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Cool bit for Phillips screws

On 8/11/15 3:00 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/11/15 1:50 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Jack wrote in
:

I'm not a fan of square bits. Torx works better, and to me,
looks better. I don't mind "quality" Phillips either, and they
look the best in most applications.

For looks, you can't beat straight slotted brass screws. That's
the way to go if you want the classical craftsman appearance.

The huge advantage of Torx is the bits are self-centering. In a
production enviroment, where some low-skill worker with an air
driver is trying to drive hundreds per day as fast as possible,
that's a big thing. That's why you see Torx everywhere, and not
Robertson or Allen head screws.

John

They help my high-skilled ass, too! :-)

I ran into something different on a little trailer I bought used.
The screws looked like Torx but none of my bits would fit. I wanted
to replace a few that were starting to rust. On very close
inspection they were 8 point. I emailed the manufacturer and they
confirmed they were "double square" screws. They suggested using a
#2 square drive bit. It fit perfectly.

Now THAT might keep me in the square drive business.
One of pet peeves with square drives is the polarized positioning (same
with phillips and most worst with slotted).
This double square concept is genius! You probably didn't drive enough
of them to offer an opinion, but I wonder how they do in the long run
with stripping out, etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)