Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 11:33:11 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/2/15 10:35 AM, krw wrote:

The birdsmouth is intended to push towards the blade, not down.

Exactly.
What's holding the stock down to the table when the blade it trying to
lift and throw it?

If I suspect that anything bad could happen, a featherboard. If the
stock is true, I don't bother.

Many things we cut on the table saw aren't heavy enough to stay against
the table surface when cutting.

Featherboards.

I've seen guys use two seperate bird's mouth push sticks to try to push
the stock through the blade AND hold it down at the front.

I will use two push sticks. One to push and one to hold down near the
blade. I have a strict rule when using the table saw; no fingers
beyond the blade until it stops spinning.

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls the
stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.