Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 02 Aug 2015 11:15:11 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

http://wmo.asu.edu/world-greatest-si...our-rainfallOn
Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:31:18 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would use
one since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the stock
upwards. They are slightly less dangerous than using your hand.

The idea is to keep your fingers out of the rotating parts. They
aren't intended to fix kick-back.

They aren't intended to encourage kick-back, either, but that's what
those dangerous birdsmouth push sticks do. If you put downward pressure
on the very edge of something like a board, the board will tend to lift
at the opposite end.

If the piece is that warped, perhaps. The birdsmouth is intended to
push towards the blade, not down.

Considering how easy it is to make a push device that fixes that problem,
there's no reason to ever use the birdsmouth style push stick. Ever.

Disagree.

Use a shoe that holds the stock down to the table as it pushes it
through the blade.
Push sticks are for idiots... and I say that un-apologetically.

I often use featherboards and was looking at these at Woodcraft,
yesterday.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/product_p/04301.htm

The best saw to use the birdsmouth push sticks on is the compound miter
saw. Hold it square against the fence, and make a cut. Now you've got a
scrap to use to double check the squareness of the fence.

Perhaps a square is a better tool?