Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/1/15 9:41 PM, krw wrote:
http://wmo.asu.edu/world-greatest-si...our-rainfallOn
Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:31:18 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/1/15 5:15 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in

*snip*

Those push sticks that do not hold the work down scare the hell
out of me. They keep your hands away from the blade but do
nothing to keep the work from being lifted and thrown back at
you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-stick-33279.html

The closest I've ever been to a major accident on my table saw
was caused by that style of push stick. It was homemade, but the
same concept...

A safer push stick is super easy to build, or you can *gasp* buy
one. (I'd avoid the "high tech" or mousepad style pushers for
table saw use.)

Puckdropper

Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would
use one since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the
stock upwards. They are slightly less dangerous than using your
hand.

The idea is to keep your fingers out of the rotating parts. They
aren't intended to fix kick-back.

Use a shoe that holds the stock down to the table as it pushes it
through the blade. Push sticks are for idiots... and I say that
un-apologetically.

I often use featherboards and was looking at these at Woodcraft,
yesterday.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/product_p/04301.htm

Well, I guess you could spend 300 bucks on those or make a shoe in 5
minutes out of a buck's worth of scrap wood.

I stand by what I said. Those crow's mouth type push sticks are for
those who don't like being able to count to ten.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--