Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/1/15 5:15 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:55BD3B1B.1080500@swbelldotnet:

*snip*

Those push sticks that do not hold the work down scare the hell out of
me. They keep your hands away from the blade but do nothing to keep the
work from being lifted and thrown back at you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-stick-33279.html

The closest I've ever been to a major accident on my table saw was caused
by that style of push stick. It was homemade, but the same concept...

A safer push stick is super easy to build, or you can *gasp* buy one. (I'd
avoid the "high tech" or mousepad style pushers for table saw use.)

Puckdropper

Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would use one
since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the stock upwards.
They are slightly less dangerous than using your hand.

Use a shoe that holds the stock down to the table as it pushes it
through the blade.
Push sticks are for idiots... and I say that un-apologetically.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--