Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/1/2015 3:32 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

On 8/1/2015 10:36 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
I use a push stick and a shoe type push block out of plywood veneer

i use the shoe type the most so i like that one the best

which style do you reach for

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/
EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#56849189 28011997682

Mine is similar to that, except the handle goes the other way.
I don't like the designs that put the hand in front of the
notch pushing the board, because I think they can rotate
around the front and lift the notch. I think the hand needs
to be behind and above the notch so the line of force goes
thru the notch into the board.

And mine is similar to Swingmans except mine is shorter and the handle
is more on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I have been using this design for about 16 years and this one is
probably that old. I have a few as back ups. I made it out of 1/2"
Baltic birch plywood so it does not weaken much as more of it gets cut
away, in width. It is getting close to retirement.

An important aspect to this design is that I can apply quite a bit of
pressure down on the board to prevent what you have described, the notch
lifting. More importantly, that downward force helps to prevent the
board/work from lifting as it passes the back side of the blade.

Those push sticks that do not hold the work down scare the hell out of
me. They keep your hands away from the blade but do nothing to keep the
work from being lifted and thrown back at you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-stick-33279.html