Posted to rec.woodworking

Default table saw push stick or push block or ???

Electric Comet wrote in news:mpivt2$3hi$1
@dont-email.me:

On 01 Aug 2015 16:47:34 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got two: One is simply a short 2x4 with a little tang on the
back (simple and fast to make) and the other is a longish piece of
plywood with a handle shaped like a handsaw handle.

I usually grab the 2x4 for thin cuts (I consider it extremely
sacrificial) and the plywood for thicker cuts.

i will try that
but will glue a piece of sandpaper on the bottom just for better grip

The tang actually does the pushing. The length of the push stick allows
me to put pressure away from the edge of the board to prevent lifting.
No need for sandpaper.

If I need to hold the material against the fence at the same time I'm
pushing through the blade, I usually use the rounded end of one push
stick as a feather board and push with the other. I'm only using enough
pressure to keep the material from wandering, not pushing it tight like
you can with a feather board.

Puckdroper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.