Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default Actual Woodworking ;~)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
Sonny wrote:

Initially, I had wanted to do the whole build by hand, including
planing, no power tools, at all, but that turned out to be too big of
job. I brought the boards to Lafayette Woodworks and they planed
them. A nail was hit in the last board, so the guy stopped
planing. That board remained 1/8" thicker than the other three....
4 boards were planed and one board didn't pass the selection
committee. In the end, the guy quoted me $25 for the planing. I
paid him $50.

Surprised he didn't run a metal detector over the material. I have a hand
held wand type detector. Once I calibrate it quickly I never miss a nail. Of
course there are always those boards I'm sure don't have nails that I don't
check that do have a nail in them. Funny part is that it was some old wood
from a fence and the nail was like butter. For me knots have been more
of a problem than nails. One knot chipped my planer blade.

If I read the dimensions right that's quite a big table. Is it a commision
project? It is almost 12 feet long so maybe it's a conference table?

But how did the lumber end up with nails in it?