Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Actual Woodworking ;~)

Leon wrote:

Well deep in mind Mike that the precision of hidden mortises and
tenons is not so important, and yes we are talking at least 64ths of
an inch, when it comes to what you actually see.

For instance if you are not cutting stock precisely the same length
for rails for door or face frames, way more accurate than 1/128", you
see gaps and cracks. Their lengths are not so important so much as
their lengths have to be dead nuts the same.

And then there was the last kitchen that Karl and I worked on where we
were dealing with measurements in the 64ths of an inch gap between
cabinet doors and drawers for the parts that you do see.

Basically you have to know and recognize when you have to be anally
accurate and when that is not so important. ;~)

Agreed. My point was not to diminish the times when that degree of accuracy
is relevant, but to acknowledge when it's not. We can get a little anal at
times here at the wRec and get carried away with pursuing precision when
it's not all that required. But - anal is good...

--

-Mike-