Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Actual Woodworking ;~)

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 8:21:33 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 7/19/2015 9:27 PM, Sonny wrote:

In essence, I am not totally pleased with my hand cut mortises, despite their being fairly good.

And highly likely to be plenty sufficient to do the job.

Actually, the mortises and tenons fit well, together.... tenons have a nice tight fit into the mortises. The mortise slots' alignments, from board to board, is perfect. I had expected these "fittings" to fix the subtle/slight warp (waviness-misalignment), of the boards surfaces, to be better corrected. It is the degree of the non-correcting, that I am not totally pleased with.

And thanks for the vote of confidence, that they are plenty sufficient.

Leon's comment:
.... the opposite mating side has an elongated Domino mortise, width wise, to

give me a touch of wiggle room during the glue up.

At one time, I had thought to glue the table top boards together. Their size made me rethink that. For smaller boards, gluing is fine, but maybe not for these large of boards, planks.

I may reconsider gluing them. Another option, I had considered, was to install 4 or 5 dutchmans along each mating joint, on the underside of the tabletop. Not sure how well top-surface dutchmans would look, for secondary decor function. Wonder if 4 or 5 topside dutchmans would be overkill, look inappropriate for decor? Maybe 3 per joint topside and 2 per joint bottomside. Don't know if I can do justice to this project, with exposed dutchmans, as well as George Nakashima would do, but the more I think about it, the more appealing it is. I do pretty good dutchmans, also. There's one on the underside of one board, securing a check.

Sonny