Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Actual Woodworking ;~)

Sonny wrote in
:

Lately, I tried hand cutting mortises, for loose tenons, in the walnut
trestle tabel top. Did okay, but I'm sure a jig and plunge router
would have done a better job, making for the top's edges to be a
better aligned (even), than with my hand job. In essence, I am not
totally pleased with my hand cut mortises, despite their being fairly
good.

I think this is why floating tenons is a "modern" technique.
If you're working by hand, it's much less effort to cut one
mortise and one tenon, than to cut two mortises and a longer
tenon piece.

John