external usenet poster

Default Actual Woodworking ;~)

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 1:39:53 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
As usual I am using
my front and back face frame methods of building the cabinets with all
mortise and floating tenon jointery and dado and grove jointery, and
some lap joints on the back frame.

Anyway about 18 floating tenons,....

Time and again, I've paid attention to many of you all's use of floating tenons, though I may not have commented. I don't recall using floating tenons in the past, but I have lately, and I've seen or understood how well they perform by you're and others working, explanations and results.

Lately, I tried hand cutting mortises, for loose tenons, in the walnut trestle tabel top. Did okay, but I'm sure a jig and plunge router would have done a better job, making for the top's edges to be a better aligned (even), than with my hand job. In essence, I am not totally pleased with my hand cut mortises, despite their being fairly good.

I don't have a plunge router. I suppose a plunge router (and jig) is much more convenient/efficient, than using a standard router, for cutting these mortises. Kinna like a few years ago, I finally bought a biscuit jointer and found it easy to use and using biscuits, to be much more convenient than the job of drilling and using dowels.

I suppose it'll be a while before I make any more mortises for floating tenons, and I may invest in a plunge router, then.

Your project reminds me, again, to think about getting a plunge router. I'm lacking the skill and experience to use one, also, as readily as I use my standard router.

As always, Leon, your projects are great, in more ways than one.

Sonny