Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default cafe doors

wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:36:35 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I'm planning on making a pair of cafe doors and want to use the
standard pivot hinges for them; by "standard" I mean those with a
sloped and notched nylon block at the bottom...the notch holds them
open, the slope allows them to swing closed once moved from the
notch.

The problem is, those hinges only allow 180 degres of swing, 90
degrees in each direction, from the closed position and I need 180
degrees in one direction. IOW, I want to be able to open the doors
flat aganst the wall in one direction.

Anyone know of any hinges that will do all the above? If not, how
about this...

1. attach a piece of wood to the jamb

2. hinge a second piece of wood to #1

3. attach cafe hinges to #2

What should happen is...

1. push the cafe door open, it stops at 90 degrees

2. keep pushing and the #2 piece of wood swings 90 degrees, cafe
door is at 180 degrees.

Thoughts?

dadiOH

There are (or at least used to be) double pivot cafe door hinges that
wogked for that scenario - 180 degrees one direction only - 90 the
other. I think Hager makes (made) them. I think Bommer also makes
(made) them. From memory they are not cheap.

I do know the one window/door company I worked for (about 15 years
ago) installed several doors that worked that way.

Thanks, I looked them up and -as you said, not cheap. At $200 - $400 I'll
be mocking up my own version (above).