Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default cafe doors

I'm planning on making a pair of cafe doors and want to use the standard
pivot hinges for them; by "standard" I mean those with a sloped and notched
nylon block at the bottom...the notch holds them open, the slope allows them
to swing closed once moved from the notch.

The problem is, those hinges only allow 180 degres of swing, 90 degrees in
each direction, from the closed position and I need 180 degrees in one
direction. IOW, I want to be able to open the doors flat aganst the wall in
one direction.

Anyone know of any hinges that will do all the above? If not, how about
this...

1. attach a piece of wood to the jamb

2. hinge a second piece of wood to #1

3. attach cafe hinges to #2

What should happen is...

1. push the cafe door open, it stops at 90 degrees

2. keep pushing and the #2 piece of wood swings 90 degrees, cafe door is at
180 degrees.

Thoughts?

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware...?cat=3&p=41241
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:36:35 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

There are (or at least used to be) double pivot cafe door hinges that
wogked for that scenario - 180 degrees one direction only - 90 the
other. I think Hager makes (made) them. I think Bommer also makes
(made) them. From memory they are not cheap.

I do know the one window/door company I worked for (about 15 years
ago) installed several doors that worked that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware...?cat=3&p=41241

So which of their hinges fits the specification?

Probably several of the 20+ listed. The purchaser
can examine as many as he wants, and then decide
which best meets his needs. You or I cannot make
this decision for him.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware...?cat=3&p=41241

So which of their hinges fits the specification?

Probably several of the 20+ listed. The purchaser
can examine as many as he wants, and then decide
which best meets his needs. You or I cannot make
this decision for him.

In other words you couldn't be assed to actually understand the question
and look for a relevant answer, you just post a link to a page of hinges
and hope that one of them fits?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

It looks like it might be possible to trick a double-pivot spring hinge
to work that way. Bommer has some of those with a hold-open latch. I'd
have to have some in my possession and futz with them to be sure though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I looked them up and -as you said, not cheap. At $200 - $400 I'll
be mocking up my own version (above).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware...?cat=3&p=41241

So which of their hinges fits the specification?

Probably several of the 20+ listed. The purchaser
can examine as many as he wants, and then decide
which best meets his needs. You or I cannot make
this decision for him.

In other words you couldn't be assed to actually understand the question
and look for a relevant answer, you just post a link to a page of hinges
and hope that one of them fits?

I apologise if "several of the 20+ listed" was not clear
enough for everyone. It seemed clear to me at the time.
It still does.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 05:58:31 -0400, "dadiOH"

wrote:

[...]

Did I mention, it was a "high end" window and door company???

$200 hinges were commonplace, along with $600 locksets. It was nothing
to have a $100,000 window order for one house. and there were lots of
$8000 to $10,000 "entry systems" as well.

All quality stuff, whether wood, vinyl, aluminum, or fiberglass.
And unlike the company I worked for before, the saleman knew how to
measure - and their installers (all either partners in the business or
employees - NOT subcontractors) really knew how to install properly.

The previous company had a warehoiuse full of windows that were
ordered wrong, and kept one man very busy fixing the "oopses" made by
the subcontract installers. They sold some very high quality stuff
too, and there was virtually NOTHING they couldn't get done - mounting
antique stained glass in new "period correct" modern windows for
historical districts etc, - it was all in a day's work for
"Pickle-Man" (Notice I didn't say it always got done right the FIRST
time - but it always got done)

Cafe doors: sal[_2_] Woodworking 10 April 30th 12 02:36 PM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Cafe doors: sal Woodworking 6 October 10th 08 06:01 PM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM