Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Repairin aluminum crankcase

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:46:04 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
My thanks to everyone for your advice and information . The welding point
has been rendered moot , I found a starter-side case half for 75 bucks and
bought it ... along with a gasket set and a used con rod . I'm negotiating
with a guy for a crank , if I get that it will replace all the parts that
are broken . The pistons/bores are right at the wear limit , so I'll re-use
those and give the cylinders a light hone to reseat the rings . Might see if
I can knurl the pistons lightly to tighten things up just a smidgen . Looks
like I'll be able to bring this repair project in right at the self-imposed
budget .

You still might want to try welding up the old one for a bit of
education/practice. No better way to try stuff out like that...

Had a break in the heat & humidity here yesterday. Managed to get a
bracket welded back on my neighbor's old sickle mower. Nothing special,
1/8 inch 6013 stick after some serious grinding off the broken weld. Was
going to use one of my 4.5 inch grinders until I looked it over
again... Dug out my 9 inch and even using that one it took 5-10 minutes
to make the old, broken weld disappear. That grinder makes **** poor
tacks disappear too right quick too...

Was getting the hang of it again (stick welding) just before I was
done ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b