Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miniature end mill help

I do several types of plastic and several types of steel and brass.

Manual engraving machine. I have a grinder and haven't yet got it out.

I have diamond and burnishing. Mostly D's.

I have solid carbide and HSS. It turns right fast.

I've never tried twist flutes. Used tiny 5 mil and 3 mil when
milling PCB but these are like 5" long .125" diameter. I'll have
to go to a center grind shop and get a nice blank. Then cutoff
and grind the ends. Hum..

Martin

On 8/16/2015 10:59 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:29:02 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Rats, All way to short.
I'm milling plastic. Use D drills and mills.

Martin

If you are milling plastic..you dont need carbide, unless they are
something like MolyD Delrin..and even then its questionable

There has to be a cutter and tool grinder in your vicinity. Have him
make you up a few cutters. Its not hard and you can spec anything
special you want. Might cost you $35-50 for the first one (set up)
but the rest will be cheaper.

And they can make them any length you require. I had some drills made
up for one of my people last year.... .259x 11"

GUnner

On 8/16/2015 2:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"oparr" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

To be fair, (and I geez can't believe I am agreeing with jonnie) the
Harvey tool end mills are really good stuff. I think they make up for
their price in reduced cutter breakage. I don't buy all Harvey too, but
they make up a large percentage of my specialty stuff.