Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifting Stuff

Interesting. My John Deer 4wd series 1 is a Cat 1. The pins that are
used to pick up with are maybe 7/8 and then there is a sleeve. Maybe it
is 5/8 plus 1/8" making 7/8 tubing around the pin that is hard. I
suspect the tubing is the consumable while the pin is the strength that
pulls. I thought it were larger myself.
I use 48" wide Power Tiller, 56" wide hog mower, 48" fine cut and 48"
front end loader.

The large hooks take the tubing diameter while the pin is the implement
size.

Handy tool that is for sure. When the grass gets waist high or more due
to constant rain, the Deer just drives through and cuts.

At our age, we use it to tote heavy boxes and materials around the property.

Martin

On 7/30/2015 5:47 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/30/2015 5:27 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/30/2015 3:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 07/28/2015 12:19 PM, SteamboatEd Haas wrote:

Just guessing, but a first shot approximation...

From the size of the tractor, and giving benefit that the 3-pt is Cat
1, not Cat 0, I'm guesstimating by measuring from the pictures that the

I am not sure of the exact size of the pictured tractor, but my rather
small (33HP) 4wd John Deere has a Cat 2. A commercial farming buddy of
mine looked at it one day and said it was the smallest cat 2 setup he
had ever seen, but it was definitely cat 2.

Cat 2 is 1-1/8" D lift pin is the definitive way to tell. (Cat 0 - 5/8"
and Cat 1 - 7/8"). While those _could_ be, perhaps, just doesn't look
like it and it would be more than just a little unusual on such a small
tractor. That can't be but in the upper teens to low 20s on such a small
chassis.

The JD 955 here is about 30 HP, MFWD (it's so old I don't remember
precisely) and is Cat 1. I don't know at what point Deere goes Cat 2
standard; I suppose it's probably possible to order a higher level than
standard even on the utilities, or somebody could have swapped out pins
or arms, even...

The new "4 Family" run from 43 to 66 HP and are all Cat 1. OTOH, the 5E
series starts at about 50 hp up and are Cat 2 so it also depends on the
series. But, at 33 hp I think it's unusual for sure.