Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mercury cleanup (was Large anvils)

Joe Gwinn fired this volley in
:

Flowers of sulfur may be purchased from agricultural supply stores.

Plain 'dusting sulfur' is far less expensive, and still about 95%
elemental sulfur.

However, that method is a sort of "folk remedy" that doesn't work as well
as touted. The problem is that elemental mercury and elemental sulfur
don't react very rapidly at STP. It takes some method of adding energy
(heat, in this case) by processes like high-shear mixing or ball milling
to accomplish the task effectively. And even with a "tuned" ball mill (a
subject pretty dear to my heart!), it takes about 90 minutes of vigorous
milling to fully react all the mercury into black cinnibar.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=web&cd=1&ved=
0CB8QFjAAahUKEwieiuXzk_7GAhWCJj4KHYudCmQ&url=http% 3A%2F%
2Fdigital.csic.es%2Fbitstream%2F10261%2F7692%2F1%2 FDISPOSAL%
2520ELEMENTALHg.pdf&ei=qKG3VZ6WLoLN-
AGLu6qgBg&usg=AFQjCNEbqz36y_ZmrzwHgSOb55Xc7I1CQQ&s ig2=AjPUqJ-
MVVZEqCZ8XWqHxA&cad=rja

Sorry for the long link. This is a pdf explaining processes used to
stabilize mercury for recovery or disposal.

Lloyd