Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22688 Ignoramus22688 is offline

Default Large anvils

On 2015-07-28, Mike Spencer wrote:

Ignoramus22688 writes:

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

At the ABABA conference in 1990 I talked to a couple of guys who were
squatting somewhere on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and doing
blacksmithing in a vacant lot. They lugged everything inside when they
stopped work except their anvil. That they had welded firmly to a big
chunk of steel and the chunk was welded to a partially buried I beam.
They'd been working for months and nobody had managed to steal the
anvil.

Anyone with brains and equipment, sufficient to steal such a well
secured anvil, would be able to do better things for a living than
stealing small metal items.