Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel L bolts

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 12:43:00 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I
am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a
sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut.
Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?

I'd be concerned about cracks in the bend - unless you do it red hot .
Even then , I'd be looking for allthread with rolled rather than cut threads
.

I agree. Stainless steel..doesnt bend all that well..visa vis
retaining its strength. Might want to go up a size or two...

It will take a hell of a lot more energy to bend stainless steel as
well.

Consider using normal steel and then putting zinc chromate etc etc on
it instead of using SS. Or..buy the already bended pieces online.

If its a boat..Id suggest using 316 SS

http://catalog.interstatethreadedpro...-steel-u-bolts

Im sure you can find a distributor....

Gunner