Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel L bolts

I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut. Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I
am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a
sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut.
Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?

I'd be concerned about cracks in the bend - unless you do it red hot .
Even then , I'd be looking for allthread with rolled rather than cut threads
..

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 12:43:00 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I
am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a
sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut.
Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?

I'd be concerned about cracks in the bend - unless you do it red hot .
Even then , I'd be looking for allthread with rolled rather than cut threads
.

I agree. Stainless steel..doesnt bend all that well..visa vis
retaining its strength. Might want to go up a size or two...

It will take a hell of a lot more energy to bend stainless steel as
well.

Consider using normal steel and then putting zinc chromate etc etc on
it instead of using SS. Or..buy the already bended pieces online.

If its a boat..Id suggest using 316 SS

http://catalog.interstatethreadedpro...-steel-u-bolts

Im sure you can find a distributor....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:15:57 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut. Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?

It's an old boat with an old boat trailer. It used these L bolts to hold the "bunks" None of the local dealers have anything like the parts needed because of the age and we'd rather not have to start modifying the trailer to make new design parts work. I've never bent 1/2" SS rod before. CR would be easier but in a few years I'd be back to square one because of rust. Boat/trailer sees salt water use, hence the desire for SS. Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 14:00:20 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:15:57 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a friend's boat trailer. I am wondering how easy it will to be to either bend allthread in a sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor bolts with a die nut. Talking about 1/2" rod. Any suggestions?

It's an old boat with an old boat trailer. It used these L bolts to hold the "bunks" None of the local dealers have anything like the parts needed because of the age and we'd rather not have to start modifying the trailer to make new design parts work. I've never bent 1/2" SS rod before. CR would be easier but in a few years I'd be back to square one because of rust. Boat/trailer sees salt water use, hence the desire for SS. Thanks for the suggestions!

Just keep in mind that SS takes 50%-100% more effort to bend than does
CR..and it may..may crack..maybe only a little..or completely and
suddenly while bending. If you are in fresh water only..simply shoot
it up with galvanizing or zinc chromate. Sal****er...different story
unless you pressure wash it after every use...

Just letting you know that it may not be all that simple to do it
right. Now if you can get SS bolts and some SS plate or Ls..it might
be more work..but it wont bust when you least want it to.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
I need to make up some SS L bolts to go on a
friend's boat trailer. I am wondering how easy
it will to be to either bend allthread in a
sharp 90 or thread the blind end on ss anchor
bolts with a die nut. Talking about 1/2" rod.
Any suggestions?

It's an old boat with an old boat trailer. It used
these L bolts to hold the "bunks" None of the
local dealers have anything like the parts needed
because of the age and we'd rather not have to
start modifying the trailer to make new design
parts work. I've never bent 1/2" SS rod before. CR
would be easier but in a few years I'd be back to
square one because of rust. Boat/trailer sees salt
water use, hence the desire for SS. Thanks for the
suggestions!

________

I you are going to heat and bend it using a
torch remember to heat the _inside_ of the
bend, not the outside curve. Heating the
outside will crack it _for sure_ .. BTDT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://catalog.fmstainless.com/viewi...-l-anchor-bolt

Bob La Londe