Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

Being 1/2" it would be great 5 string wire fence. Oil well
stem tubing posts. Wonder what the sag in the center of a
length of 20 feet between posts is. Might have to go to 10'.
The force to string it tight - through eyes bolted to the pipe
might be just what the crane can help with. Attach and pull back
and then clamp it off. Normally a loop back into a bolted clamp.

Remember what summer heat and winter ice does. Maybe a spring
in the end to take up the slack.

We likely would tighten in Winter near cold day and then summer sag and
back flat again come winter.

Martin

On 7/18/2015 1:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:21:17 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

On 2015-07-17, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:40:29 -0500, Ignoramus23196
wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Cool new toy, dude.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

There's no question about that. If you check the law, I'm sure you'll
find that you can't lift anything until it has been replaced, even if
it's on your own property. Your county/city/state may vary.

Talk to a local building inspector (or a friendly OSHA guy) for more
tips. But I thought you already researched erections in Illinoise.

I will replace the wire rope promptly in a couple of days. I agree
with you in general.