Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

I did not see a picture that showed the wire rope, so no direct comment. But it did make me think.

You might keep your eyes open for some test weights. Just big chunks of concrete with an eye to connect to a crane and identified as to their weight. They should be dirt cheap or free at some auctions. If you had some you could load and unload tben off your trailer using your crane. And come up with a proof test business in addition to proof testing your own crane.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Yes, but to make sure, shouldn't Grove's service mechanics guarantee the crane's full serviceability?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/16/2015 6:40 AM, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Doesn't look like it was ever lubricated. The problem will occur when it
goes around a pulley and bends and the brittle strands will begin to
break. How much is left on the spool? Is it all all bad?

Can you fasten the hook to something and pull the wire rope out for a
visual inspection?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:40:29 -0500, Ignoramus23196
wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Looks like it's sat around outside for a few years and the cable was
not lubed. I'd definitely be replacing it. I'd use a lang lay cable
and lubricate it regularly with a good creeping cable lube. (Something
like fluid film) that penetrates and lubricates and doesn't hold too
much dirt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Looks like it's sat around outside for a few years and the cable was
not lubed. I'd definitely be replacing it. I'd use a lang lay cable
and lubricate it regularly with a good creeping cable lube. (Something
like fluid film) that penetrates and lubricates and doesn't hold too
much dirt.

OK, thanks. I will replace it.

Can you use regular hydraulic oil for lubrication, just wet the cable
with oil? It does seem to be working well in my experience, but I want
to be double careful with cranes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 11:36:03 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

Look at the fourth (last) picture.

I went back and spotted it.

I have a 30,000+ lb T-slotted steel plate.

The weight needed depends on the capacity of the crane. It has been a long while since I had anything to do with cranes. But say you were proofing a 10,000 lb crane and the procedure called for 125% of capacity. So you would pick out weights so the total was 12,500 lbs. The next crane might be a 15,000 crane and you do not have weights that total up to 18,750 lbs . So you use somewhat less and label the crane as derated to whatever you can do.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/16/2015 8:40 AM, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

http://www.mhi.org/downloads/industrygroups/osha/FactSheet_03.pdf
http://www.stren-flex.com/wire-rope-inspection-basic-guidelines.aspx

From the pictures clearly it's not been lubricated in quite some time;
it _may_ only be surface/cosmetic rust but it may also be hiding much
more extensive damage internally. If you have any intention of loading
this to anything at all approaching capacity, I'd not risk it.

Mechanically, the section shown in the picture looks in good shape;
that, of course, doesn't mean the rest is.

As for lube, the cable manufacturer will have recommended products; use
one of them. That said, some general info

http://www.lelubricants.com/wire-rope-lubricants.html?gclid=CMbYjNmm4MYCFQEcaQodcqQE7w

of course, they _are_ a manufacturer, too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:36:00 -0500, Ignoramus23196
wrote:

On 2015-07-16, wrote:
[...]

If it's rusty, I'd certainly replace it. At least some industrial
riggers do it annually, and theirs are lubed.

One of the plant environmental services guys told me a story a long
time ago. Apparently, they were trying to fill one of the sloughs on
the back side of the plant for a production site. The problem was, in
1942 they bulldozed a bunch of native growth cypress logs ~3' in
diameter into that swamp to get them out of the way. Now (1980's) a
huge dozer / excavator dropped into those logs while trying to push
fill into the slough and got stuck good. The guy telling the story
said he was down there that night when they tried to pull the dozer
out with a 100+ ton crane with a 2" wire rope (I've never seen a cable
that big in use myself). Anyway, he said that cable started to smoke,
then started to glow, and everybody started hollering and running.
Shortly after that, it parted in a shower of sparks. Luckily, nobody
got hurt. They abandoned the dozer and just filled over the top of
it.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sure a lot better than nothing!!! It needs to creep into the core to
do the most good. Mabee mix a bit of deisel in with the hydraulic oil
to help it flow in metter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Cool new toy, dude.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

There's no question about that. If you check the law, I'm sure you'll
find that you can't lift anything until it has been replaced, even if
it's on your own property. Your county/city/state may vary.

Talk to a local building inspector (or a friendly OSHA guy) for more
tips. But I thought you already researched erections in Illinoise.

--
The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business
of America is justice and securing the blessings of liberty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23196" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Googling "wire rope inspection" brought up many sites that looked
useful but were too large and slow for me to check.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-16, Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

Sounds fun, but difficult to believe...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-16, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 7/16/2015 6:40 AM, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Doesn't look like it was ever lubricated. The problem will occur when it
goes around a pulley and bends and the brittle strands will begin to
break. How much is left on the spool? Is it all all bad?

Can you fasten the hook to something and pull the wire rope out for a
visual inspection?

Paul

I will replace this wire rope, I found something from an online
supplier from whom I buy trucking related hardware.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Cool new toy, dude.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

There's no question about that. If you check the law, I'm sure you'll
find that you can't lift anything until it has been replaced, even if
it's on your own property. Your county/city/state may vary.

Talk to a local building inspector (or a friendly OSHA guy) for more
tips. But I thought you already researched erections in Illinoise.

I will replace the wire rope promptly in a couple of days. I agree
with you in general.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2015-07-16, Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

I'd ask around, because it is known that hemp ropes when overloaded
will smoke and catch fire if not immediately wetted.

The following story may or may not be true, but it was well known in
nautical circles that overstressed ropes will ignite.

..http://catholicunderthehood.com/2010...olic-history-t
he-obelisk-before-st-peters-is-blessed/

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

When you buy the new rope, ask them. They of all people should know.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Way oil sticks way better than hydraulic oil, so it will work way
better.

But, there are protective oils formulated especially for wire rope, so
why not use the right stuff? These oils are commodities, and will be
cheap.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/18/2015 9:18 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:

But, there are protective oils formulated especially for wire rope, so
why not use the right stuff? These oils are commodities, and will be
cheap.

+2.5

Spent the money on the crane and compared to the new cable it's cheap
insurance...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Way oil sticks way better than hydraulic oil, so it will work way
better.

But, there are protective oils formulated especially for wire rope, so
why not use the right stuff? These oils are commodities, and will be
cheap.

I have a huge amount of free hydraulic oil (barrels), and have a good
amount of way oil (3-4 gallons). Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per
gallon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 10:59:33 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

I have a huge amount of free hydraulic oil (barrels), and have a good
amount of way oil (3-4 gallons). Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per
gallon.

Most any oil will be better than nothing. The hydraulic oil may evaporate faster than Way oil.

I do not expect you will be using the crane for hours every day, so preventing rust is probably your prime concern. If you have any cosmolene you could add that to some hydraulic oil and use that. Or if you have a pottery supply near by you could get some Microcrystalline wax and add that to hydraulic oil. Essentially the same as cosmolene.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Iggy, you have the BEST toys.

And I'm glad to see you've decided to replace the rope. I would go along with the suggestion of microcystalline wax dissolved in hydraulic oil. I would think this would have pretty much the same characteristics of LPS-3 which is ideal for this kind of application - penetrates well, then the volatiles evaporate leaving a waxy protective layer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote in
:

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer
safe to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Iggy, you have the BEST toys.

And I'm glad to see you've decided to replace the rope. I would go
along with the suggestion of microcystalline wax dissolved in
hydraulic oil. I would think this would have pretty much the same
characteristics of LPS-3 which is ideal for this kind of application -
penetrates well, then the volatiles evaporate leaving a waxy
protective layer.

Machinary's handbook (1943) recommends Linseed oil for wire ropes.

In marine applications, traditional wire rope dressings often contained
anhydrous lanolin.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/18/2015 9:59 AM, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

... Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per gallon.

What's the cable going to be?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 09:59:31 -0500, Ignoramus3944

On 2015-07-18, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Way oil sticks way better than hydraulic oil, so it will work way
better.

But, there are protective oils formulated especially for wire rope, so
why not use the right stuff? These oils are commodities, and will be
cheap.

I have a huge amount of free hydraulic oil (barrels), and have a good
amount of way oil (3-4 gallons). Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per
gallon.

Machinery's Handbook sez that wire rope lubricants vary according to
use. The maker of the wire rope should be able to tell you what kind
of lubricant to use. If you cannot get the info or lube then an
adhesive lubricant, such as the type used for open gearing, would be
suitable. The Handbook also sez that the lube may be so thick at room
temp that it must be heated to flow. It seems to me that a very thick
sticky lube will probably stay in place the longest. Having to heat
the lube to make it thin enough to penetrate to the core seems best to
me because when it cools it will be thick enough to stay in the core
on hot days or when heavily used. As erxpensive as wire rope is I
would think lubing it properly would be a big money saver in the long
run. Probably for you though Iggy some dude just gave you a 50 ton
spool of new surplus wire rope if you will just haul it off.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, dpb wrote:
On 07/18/2015 9:59 AM, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

... Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per gallon.

What's the cable going to be?

Main cable on a rough terrain crane. 1/2" 19x7.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

NICE crane!!

As for the cable...get yourself 10 gallons of diesel fuel, add about a
gallon of cheap 10-30 weight oil..and a bug sprayer or big floppy
paintbrush and wet down the cable on the drum. Raise the boom as far
as it will go and unspool as much cable as you can and keep "painting"
the cable with the diesel and oil until you cant let anymore out, then
soak whatever is still on the spool ..then roller her back up and you
should be good to go for a while.

I looked at the photos and the cable looks pretty good. That surface
rust isnt much..I was looking for broken strands..looks fine.

After you diesel/oil the cable..it will bleed rust for a time..so dont
park it on concrete, or where you cant get a pressure washer on it.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:21:17 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Way oil sticks way better than hydraulic oil, so it will work way
better.

But, there are protective oils formulated especially for wire rope, so
why not use the right stuff? These oils are commodities, and will be
cheap.

I have a huge amount of free hydraulic oil (barrels), and have a good
amount of way oil (3-4 gallons). Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per
gallon.

Mix some way oil with the hydraulic

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2015-07-18, wrote:
On 07/18/2015 9:59 AM, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

... Wire rope lubricant is about $30 per gallon.

What's the cable going to be?

Main cable on a rough terrain crane. 1/2" 19x7.

Knew that; I meant in $$ as compared to $30/gal...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

Yeah...I know you weren't maritime. "Rope" is always metal. "Line" is
fiber. "Cable" is electrical.

G (old Navy)
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:43:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

Yeah...I know you weren't maritime. "Rope" is always metal. "Line" is
fiber. "Cable" is electrical.

G (old Navy)
Lloyd

That may be navy, Lloyd, but it sure isn't "maritime." Rope is the
twisted material, no matter what it's made from. A line is a cut piece
of rope.

Fiber rope is made on a rope walk, as it has been for hundreds of
years. It is stored in rope lockers. Line(s) are the cut pieces of
rope used for specific purposes on a boat or ship.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

It forges real well, makes interesting pattern welded steel.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd talk to experts. The thing about way oil is it is
thick and sticky. Less dripping and evap off as with lighter oils.
Made to stick.

But check with cable guys and see what grade they use. I think
hydraulic would be a bit to light being an outdoor crane.

Martin

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic oil,
for lubing wire rope?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Being 1/2" it would be great 5 string wire fence. Oil well
stem tubing posts. Wonder what the sag in the center of a
length of 20 feet between posts is. Might have to go to 10'.
The force to string it tight - through eyes bolted to the pipe
might be just what the crane can help with. Attach and pull back
and then clamp it off. Normally a loop back into a bolted clamp.

Remember what summer heat and winter ice does. Maybe a spring
in the end to take up the slack.

We likely would tighten in Winter near cold day and then summer sag and
back flat again come winter.

Martin

wire rope fittings? JimK[_2_] UK diy 31 March 16th 10 10:42 AM
Wire rope Q DrollTroll Metalworking 33 October 12th 08 02:01 AM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:14 PM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:13 PM
Wire rope question SteveB Home Repair 5 September 27th 05 09:34 AM