Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Iggy, you have the BEST toys.

And I'm glad to see you've decided to replace the rope. I would go along with the suggestion of microcystalline wax dissolved in hydraulic oil. I would think this would have pretty much the same characteristics of LPS-3 which is ideal for this kind of application - penetrates well, then the volatiles evaporate leaving a waxy protective layer.