Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

When you buy the new rope, ask them. They of all people should know.

Martin

On 2015-07-16, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:40:29 -0500, Ignoramus23196
wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Looks like it's sat around outside for a few years and the cable was
not lubed. I'd definitely be replacing it. I'd use a lang lay cable
and lubricate it regularly with a good creeping cable lube. (Something
like fluid film) that penetrates and lubricates and doesn't hold too
much dirt.

OK, thanks. I will replace it.

Can you use regular hydraulic oil for lubrication, just wet the cable
with oil? It does seem to be working well in my experience, but I want
to be double careful with cranes.