Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On 07/16/2015 8:40 AM, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

http://www.mhi.org/downloads/industrygroups/osha/FactSheet_03.pdf
http://www.stren-flex.com/wire-rope-inspection-basic-guidelines.aspx

From the pictures clearly it's not been lubricated in quite some time;
it _may_ only be surface/cosmetic rust but it may also be hiding much
more extensive damage internally. If you have any intention of loading
this to anything at all approaching capacity, I'd not risk it.

Mechanically, the section shown in the picture looks in good shape;
that, of course, doesn't mean the rest is.

As for lube, the cable manufacturer will have recommended products; use
one of them. That said, some general info

http://www.lelubricants.com/wire-rope-lubricants.html?gclid=CMbYjNmm4MYCFQEcaQodcqQE7w

of course, they _are_ a manufacturer, too!