Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On 7/16/2015 6:40 AM, Ignoramus23196 wrote:
I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

Doesn't look like it was ever lubricated. The problem will occur when it
goes around a pulley and bends and the brittle strands will begin to
break. How much is left on the spool? Is it all all bad?

Can you fasten the hook to something and pull the wire rope out for a
visual inspection?

Paul