Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23196 Ignoramus23196 is offline

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On 2015-07-16, wrote:
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

I did not see a picture that showed the wire rope, so no direct
comment. But it did make me think.

Look at the fourth (last) picture.

You might keep your eyes open for some test weights. Just big
chunks of concrete with an eye to connect to a crane and identified
as to their weight. They should be dirt cheap or free at some
auctions. If you had some you could load and unload tben off your
trailer using your crane. And come up with a proof test business in
addition to proof testing your own crane.

I have a 30,000+ lb T-slotted steel plate.