Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default OT Gooseneck trailer question

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 20:14:49 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:35:05 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did you
find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

I took no part in that madness; it happened after I was off being an
engineer instead of the #2 son at a family business. Either he drilled
them out and replaced with oversize, he depended on the swell of the
rivets to fill the holes, or it wasn't as bad as he thought and he was
just wasting time (although the truck was reputed to have driven better
after the rebuild).

--
www.wescottdesign.com