Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Gooseneck trailer question

I have (among other transportation) my own Chevy 2500HD pick-up truck
and a 12,000 lbs "bumper pull" trailer with a pintle hitch.

While it is a good trailer, it is relatively short and only has room
for a forklift and nothing else. Plus, being a bumper pull trailer, it
has some disadvantages in towing.

I have recently bought a 14,000 lbs gooseneck trailer that is 25 feet
long and want to hear some relevant comments from people experiences
with such trailers.

It is 14,000 lbs rated, but that is only for its axles, and it can
carry more than that if that weight is supported by the truck itself.

My main question is how a Chevy 2500HD can handle it. I am not
expecting miracles of performance. I also always treat heavy loads
very gently and barely step on gas, trying to be nice to the
transmission. I have pulled 11,000+ trailers without much trouble,
just slowly.

Should I expect handling benefits with a GN trailer?

Do you think that the transmission will survive a 14,000 lbs trailer
if I try very hard to go easy on it?

THanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 07:06:51 -0500, Ignoramus10431 wrote:

[...]

I can't comment on your tranny, but I've driven roughly similar-sized
gooseneck and bumper-tow trailers: goosenecks handle better, ride better
on long trips, and seem to be easier on the truck than bumper tow.

Load the trailer and the truck to the limits of what the axles are rated
for, drive at highway speeds (but don't pass any cop cars), and stick to
your maintenance schedule religiously. You should wring full value out
of your truck.

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10431 wrote:
[...]

What year, engine trans? Does it have the factory tow package as well?

Look on the door sticker and it should give you the GCVW.

However I'm betting that 14K is over the limit. The new 2015 2500HD
maxes out at 13K

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:35:05 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did
you find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

--
The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business
of America is justice and securing the blessings of liberty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did you
find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

I took no part in that madness; it happened after I was off being an
engineer instead of the #2 son at a family business. Either he drilled
them out and replaced with oversize, he depended on the swell of the
rivets to fill the holes, or it wasn't as bad as he thought and he was
just wasting time (although the truck was reputed to have driven better
after the rebuild).

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 8:06:58 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus10431 wrote:
[...]

Without knowing what year & drivetrain, it's hard to say. But I'd at least add a external transmission cooler and a deep transmission pan. If it needs a pep-up for towing, consider changing rear end gearing.

Jim H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with
over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at
20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows
in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined
vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw
away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck
lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did
you find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

The shop manual for my Ford truck says:
"In cases where it is necessary to substitute a bolt for a rivet, use
the next larger size bolt."

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did
you find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

I've used close tolerance bolts and reamed holes when repairing a
truck frame, at the makers suggestion.
--
cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My dad's shop truck outlived my dad. It was a 1972 Chevy C-20 with over
100000 miles on it when we got it. We'd pull out of the shop at 20,000
pounds combined vehicle weight (with a gooseneck) and drive to shows in
California, Washington, and the midwest. 20000 pounds combined vehicle
weight was a bit much -- after 200000 miles of that the truck frame
needed all it's rivets replaced (my dad did not believe in "throw away
and buy new") -- but he dropped down to 15000 CVW and the truck lasted
basically forever after that.

If the rivets needed replacing, so did the holes. Where on Earth did you
find a cost-effective source for frame-free rivet holes, Tim?

I took no part in that madness;

That's good to hear.

it happened after I was off being an
engineer instead of the #2 son at a family business. Either he drilled
them out and replaced with oversize, he depended on the swell of the
rivets to fill the holes, or it wasn't as bad as he thought and he was
just wasting time (although the truck was reputed to have driven better
after the rebuild).

I'm sure it would, had the frame been that sloppy.

--
The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business
of America is justice and securing the blessings of liberty.
-- George F. Will
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a 24,000 lb. rated gooseneck that I pull with an F350 and
manual tranny. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. It goes WAY
beyond the ability of a tag trailer.

We last hauled a 18,000 lb. mill from central IL to central MN.

Brakes are the biggest issue. I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth
a **** for this application.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:14:49 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I have a 24,000 lb. rated gooseneck that I pull with an F350 and
manual tranny. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. It goes WAY
beyond the ability of a tag trailer.

We last hauled a 18,000 lb. mill from central IL to central MN.

Brakes are the biggest issue. I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth
a **** for this application.

EDIT, used the kids F250 for the mill haul , not my F350. Just like
your truck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-13, Karl Townsend wrote:
I have a 24,000 lb. rated gooseneck that I pull with an F350 and
manual tranny. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. It goes WAY
beyond the ability of a tag trailer.

We last hauled a 18,000 lb. mill from central IL to central MN.

Brakes are the biggest issue. I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth
a **** for this application.

This is very nice. (I saw your message about F-250).

I bet that to be nice on the trans, you just "go easy" when driving
and avoid excessive acceleration, and slow down on steep grades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 24,000 lb. rated gooseneck that I pull with an F350 and
manual tranny. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. It goes WAY
beyond the ability of a tag trailer.

We last hauled a 18,000 lb. mill from central IL to central MN.

Brakes are the biggest issue. I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth
a **** for this application.

The brake controllers that work off the brake light with programmed
ramp and max current work better than the pendulum ones - amd I
believe there are now some out using solid state decellerometers.
TruControl from Hensleys one example

EDIT, used the kids F250 for the mill haul , not my F350. Just like
your truck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:14:49 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth a
**** for this application.

What? Oh dammit. I suppose someone did something exceedingly stupid and
then won a lawsuit.

Are the pendulum units attached to the truck body, trying to sense the
deceleration, or are they attached to the brake pedal, trying to sense
the rotation?

In the former case I think you may as well install spoked wheels on the
truck and carry a long stick to shove in when you want to stop.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-13, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:14:49 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth a
**** for this application.

What? Oh dammit. I suppose someone did something exceedingly stupid and
then won a lawsuit.

Are the pendulum units attached to the truck body, trying to sense the
deceleration, or are they attached to the brake pedal, trying to sense
the rotation?

In the former case I think you may as well install spoked wheels on the
truck and carry a long stick to shove in when you want to stop.

Electric brake controllers work moderately well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was able to install a brake controller
that taps into the brake line. Unfortunately these are no longer made.
The units with a pedulum inside (nearly all of them now) are not worth a
**** for this application.

What? Oh dammit. I suppose someone did something exceedingly stupid and
then won a lawsuit.

Are the pendulum units attached to the truck body, trying to sense the
deceleration, or are they attached to the brake pedal, trying to sense
the rotation?

Its a decelleration sensor. If you are grossly overloaded going down a
steep grade. The damn controller won't help you stop at all.

The brake line pressure sensor is by far the best system but I'm sure
too many idiots f&*%ked it up when the took the line apart at the
master cylinder. A controller named Max Brake was made just for large
heavy trailers on small trucks. My truck is 22 years old, don't know
what to do when it dies.

My son's diesel F250 comes with an integral brake controller as part
of the car's system. Works better than the pendulum unit but stopping
distance was easily double of what my truck does with the same load.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news

[...]

The deceleration sensor controllers I've had were tunable so you could
adjust for the trailer weight, and they all had manual apply slide levers on
the front which can come in real handy if swaying sets in. I haven't towed
a real heavy load in years, but I could tell the difference when I adjusted
the controller with the trailer empty and then with a car on it.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames