Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT Gooseneck trailer question

Ignoramus10431 wrote:
I have (among other transportation) my own Chevy 2500HD pick-up truck
and a 12,000 lbs "bumper pull" trailer with a pintle hitch.

While it is a good trailer, it is relatively short and only has room
for a forklift and nothing else. Plus, being a bumper pull trailer, it
has some disadvantages in towing.

I have recently bought a 14,000 lbs gooseneck trailer that is 25 feet
long and want to hear some relevant comments from people experiences
with such trailers.

It is 14,000 lbs rated, but that is only for its axles, and it can
carry more than that if that weight is supported by the truck itself.

My main question is how a Chevy 2500HD can handle it. I am not
expecting miracles of performance. I also always treat heavy loads
very gently and barely step on gas, trying to be nice to the
transmission. I have pulled 11,000+ trailers without much trouble,
just slowly.

Should I expect handling benefits with a GN trailer?

Do you think that the transmission will survive a 14,000 lbs trailer
if I try very hard to go easy on it?

THanks

What year, engine trans? Does it have the factory tow package as well?

Look on the door sticker and it should give you the GCVW.

However I'm betting that 14K is over the limit. The new 2015 2500HD
maxes out at 13K

--
Steve W.