Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not so much metal working, as the space for metal working

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 16:04:59 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:38:29 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 04 Jul 2015 08:23:32 -0700

The concern is that paint adhesion on the outside can be adversely
affected by moisture migrating through from the inside. This is a
definite problem with masonry, solid wood and plywood. I'm not sure
about OSB as it may contain enough glue to block moisture. Better to
seal it while the opportunity is available than to be frequently
scraping/repainting the outside.

Standard "exterior" grade OSB will not likely transfer any moisture.

"will not likely" - "remote possibility".

There is a one in a million chance, you know what that means?
Yes, it happens 9 out of 10 times.

Actually...exterior grade OSB is pretty much waterproof. That being
said..Id not use it on boat hull without a layer of fiberglass..but
for normal humidity in the PNW..Id not consider it to be a sponge.

Yeah, it's much more waterproof than plywood, especially on cut edges.
What I see so much is that people will cut panels and/or siding and
never seal the cut edge. Even cement siding needs to be sealed or it
will soak up water and decompose.

Since I couldn't find brown preservative/sealer for pressure treated
wood, I had to go to regular deck stain to seal all my cut ends. I
found out that it was illegal to make my own preservative paint, too.
Once the makers of Termin-8 stopped making it, there was no other
legal method of preserving the poorly PT wood any more. ****ing
EcoNazis, I swear.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.