Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

Years ago I helped a buddy pull a deep wind mill pump with steel pipe
to replace the leather gasket. We used a lever, some chains to grab
the pipe, and and a couple pieces of steel bar bolted together around
the pipe to secure it between lifts. We unscrewed each section as we
got it above the sleeve. It wasn't hard particularly. Like pulling
my pump it was just tedious manual labor requiring a little muscle.

I pulled 180' of sch-80 steel with a 5hp submersible on the end of the
string -- myself, alone, without a well rig, much as you did.

I erected a short derrick of wood and used a chain tackle. As you say...
just tedious. It took me several hours, but the only time I broke a
sweat was trying to loosen some of the couplings. (gotta get some longer
pipe wrenches! G)

With the same 8-ton chain tackle, I can't imagine it being any harder to
lift a 360' string... just longer.

Lloyd