Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Swamp cooler and up-dux

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:28:48 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 14:55:49 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 10:09:34 AM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I made insert frames that fit snugly within the trim around my windows
to seal them better. They have weatherstripping around the outside to

Thanks, but the windows are the vertical hinge swing out type with a mechanical position thing you wind in and out with a slider on a rail. Difficult to fill in the top and bottom "V" sections. Also the hinge point is about an inch farther out than the frame so there is a long gap on the hinge side that gets bigger the farther open.

When we go out, we like to leaving the swamp running but not the windows open so the ceiling vents solve that issue. With windows closed and swamp running things get damp.

Oh, yeah. That's another thing. If you vent into the attic, you may
get some moisture damage from the moist swamp cooler air. That's
another reason to vent it directly outside. If you dare, ask a house
inspector about your project concepts.

As a 35 yr user of swamp cooling..if you are going to route your
exhaust air into the attic...you will sooner or later develope a hell
of a case of mold. Piping the exhaust through that attic will also
cause some issues..the pipe will need replacement every 5-10
yrs..depending on local OUTSIDE humdity. Here in Central
California..we average 12-17% summer humidity and a properly designed
swamp cooler will take it up to about 25%. YMMV in your area.

We have a single 6500 CFM cooler at one end of the house..feeding into
a window..and the exhaust are two screened windows at the far end. One
will have to remove lint etc from the screens a couple times a
year..but nothing more needs to be done.

Gunner