Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Swamp cooler and up-dux

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 09:03:11 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

We are looking at alternatives to leaving windows open for swamp cooler exhaust.

I found up-dux but 70-bucks for 10-bucks worth of simple parts does not cut it when we need two of them.

Here's what you need: http://tinyurl.com/oeb2bnc
or this: http://tinyurl.com/p2n6v9y
Mount near the ceiling and tape thermal plastic over them during the
winter. http://tinyurl.com/or8dn8q

I have ordered two metal registers and thinking of cutting holes in the ceiling.
http://www.amazon.com/Speedi-Grille-...peed i-Grille

4 of those might even bee too small. Check your CFM.

Using some fly screen between the register and the ceiling to keep the spiders and bugs out and we should have an OK exhaust. Yes? No?

I can't see the need for the flap on the up-dux, so here's the question.

Do I need a flap?

Only if you want to keep warm winter air -inside- the house.

If there is a compelling reason I can make some vent boxes with flaps to go into the ceiling, however, I am thinking that just the register then some magnetic plastic sheet to cover the register in Winter would work just as well. All for under 20-bucks for two vents and covers.

I can spare the 2-minutes of my time twice a year to install/remove magnetic flaps.

Helpful thoughts?

Use louvered vents or get two (?) more of the register vents.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.