Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:13:48 AM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:

Make sure your fancy wattmeter can stand the current draw -- a normal
outlet is 10 or 15 amps; your pump may need much more.

It's a 240v 1.5hp motor (1134-Watt) and I doubt the meter is directly
in series with the load. Might be wrong, have been before.

O.K. Less than 5 Amps then (except perhaps during starting
surges).

But the typical Kill-A-Watt both measures the voltage (across
the neutral-to-hot span) and the current delivered through the hot. The
latter could be with the current fed through a shunt, or the hot wire
threaded through a current transformer. But it *does* have to measure
the current as well as the voltage to calculate the watts load.

Or just an old mechanical clock, if you looked at it often

Great idea, thanks, I will see what's at the local junk shops next
time in town. Must surely be able to find one of those old flap-clocks.

The pump, supply and connections are 100-feet from the house and not
visible and, I would prefer not to be adding 100-Watts extra to the
costs.

Presumably, the power comes from the breaker box in the house,
so a relay could sense the current and turn on a lamp -- or a clock.
And the lamp doesn't have to be a big 100W one, a small LED light could
be sufficient to see. Mount it where you look when sitting down a lot.
Perhaps over a TV if you watch a lot of TV.

I am going with the flap-clock, if I can find one. Brilliant thought, thanks again.

Best if you control it with a relay, so it can be in the house
where you can see it frequently -- and perhaps reset it to 00:00 every
night.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--