Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway
of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So
here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then
drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run
out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump
running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe
replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few
months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

Is it possible to get glass-lined pipe, so the holes won't
appear? I know that there are very short ones for going between a hot
water heater and the lines, to minimize electrolytic damage.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

Looks like a clone of the Kill-A-Watt which has been sold for
some time now. I have one, but the maximum current is 15A, and your
pump motor may well draw more than that -- since it has a lot of work to
do to get the water up to usable level.

And -- the KWH readings would be off by a factor of two, as it
is assuming 120 VAC not 240 VAC.

And the manual for mine suggests that there are 240VAC versions
as well.

O.K. Here is someone who had them, but is currently out of
stock:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-100A-Volt-3-Wire/dp/B00GMZRXE8

This one, however, can handle 240 VAC and current up to 50A.

http://www.amazon.com/Efergy-Elite-Wireless-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B003XOXU02/ref=pd_sbs_328_3/179-7600238-8684324?ie=UTF8&refRID=033ZF6P6N7RMW17Z397Q

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and
plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly
and will know if there is trouble brewing.

This is a bit of a kluge, and rather dangerous as it would
interrupt only *one* side of the 240 VAC when unplugged.

However, the second one which I pointed to is still sold, and is
two parts -- one part in the breaker box (where you can clamp it on the
leads for your pump breaker's output only), *and* you can read it from
elsewhere in the house.

It is somewhat more expensive, but I think worth it over time.

I don't have the manual for it, but I suspect that you will want
to do something like reset it once a month after noting that month's
usage and perhaps keep a log of how much, too. Probably not a bad idea
to change the receiver's battery just after noting your reading and
before resetting.

An alternative might be to have a relay sensing the current
drawn by the motor and starting a timer, and if the pump runs more than
a certain pre-set time, to sound an alarm -- or, (with another timer
started when the current drops out) sound an alarm if the pump re-starts
too soon.

**Helpful** thoughts?

I hope that these will be helpful.

Good Luck,