Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Robot Kills Man at Volkswagen Plant in Germany

On 7/3/2015 3:44 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:

The other two creep me the heck out. In the boning room, the first one
grabs a lamb carcass off the line with a huge multi-finger gripper.
The second has an approx 4'dia rotary blade that saws the carcass into
sections for further processing. Have had to go into the cage a couple
times to work on the conveyor. Even with it locked out and isolated, I
stay low. Real low, below where the gripper robot operates...

Heh, shows how much attention I pay to the robots, reading that PDF
file, there's 3 robots in this 2nd setup. Two with grippers the one with
the saw. To cut myself a bit of slack, I don't have much to do with the
boning room and the way I enter and exit, the 2nd robot is not exactly
front and center in my field of vision.

They are impressive to watch, and pretty much state of the art.

Jon