Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Robot Kills Man at Volkswagen Plant in Germany

On 7/3/2015 9:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Right. I've been visiting plants with robots since the late '70s. The
damned things still give me the creeps.

We have three robots at work. One on the slaughter floor has a brisket
saw. Moves pretty fast, but over a very small range from the sterilizer
to ready position, to cutting.

The other two creep me the heck out. In the boning room, the first one
grabs a lamb carcass off the line with a huge multi-finger gripper.
The second has an approx 4'dia rotary blade that saws the carcass into
sections for further processing. Have had to go into the cage a couple
times to work on the conveyor. Even with it locked out and isolated, I
stay low. Real low, below where the gripper robot operates...

Here's a PDF file that describes the setup:
http://www.ampc.com.au/site/assets/media/Innovation-Award/ME-706-AMPC-MLA-Case-12-Scott-V4.pdf

Jon