Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Robot Kills Man at Volkswagen Plant in Germany

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 16:33:24 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:58:15 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

Robot Kills Man at Volkswagen Plant in Germany
Thu, 07/02/2015 - 9:26am
The Associated Press
Get today's design engineering headlines and news - Sign up now!

A robot has killed a contractor at one of Volkswagen's production
plants
in Germany, the automaker said Wednesday.

The man died Monday at the plant in Baunatal, about 100 kilometers
(62
miles) north of Frankfurt, VW spokesman Heiko Hillwig said.

The 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the
stationary
robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate,
Hillwig said.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that..."

--
Ed Huntress

It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't
feel pity
or remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you
are
dead.

Best Regards.

Tom.

Right. I've been visiting plants with robots since the late '70s.
The
damned things still give me the creeps.

Have you seen the new generation of "collaborative" robots? They're
gentle. They won't smash you against a steel plate, like the one at
VW. And, since they're computerized, nothing can ever go wrong...go
wrong...go wrong....

Here's an article on them by Kip Hanson, who is one of the better
writers in the field:

http://www.ctemag.com/aa_pages/2015/150108-Robots.html

There are many more technical articles about them around the Web.

--
Ed Huntress

They are just computer programs whose bugs have fangs.

-jsw