Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Unusual gifts

Gunner Asch on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:20:46 -0700
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:53:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:57:30 -0500, Ignoramus23199
wrote:

I am wondering if anyone else ever received unusual gifts.

For example, today, a company unexpectedly gifted me sixteen brand
name pallet jacks in great condition.

Cool!

I was given a "dead" golf cart. It took almost $6 to fix it and I
sold it for $950, then gave the gifter a Benji for the trouble.
A 1-foot battery cable was the culprit, preventing the charger from
working, too. I had started to clean the battery terminals when I
found it, and couldn't stop chuckling.

Like many of us here, I'm a scrounge^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcollector of odd and
sundry fascinating items. and people give lots of broken (or working
surplus) items to me. Most are quickly repairable, like mowers,
vacuums, toaster ovens, and drill motors.

Great minds think alike!!!

And there is no shame in being a scrounger.

I am not a pack rat. I'm, um, err "A rodent of acquisition and
unusual retention", yeah, that's the ticket.

Talking with guys at work - the company is trying to cut costs,
which is normal, and one of the issues is "materials". As in Part A
needs 2/3 of a panel, leaving a big chunk as "fall down"/ scrap. Part
B can be made of that "scrap" - but how do we track said "scrap"? (and
how do we get the virtual inventory [what the computer has computed we
have] and the actual inventory [what is actually on pallets] to
reconcile? Not to mention separating the virtual whole panels which
are actually two or more real pieces, from the non-existing real
pieces which the computer scrapped a long time ago.
And I keep in mind my Dad's story of asking if the tulip bulb
farmer parishioner had a few spares. "No problem" he is told, and a
few days later a full gunny sack of tulip bulbs ("second") is left at
the manse. Obviously, they had a difference in what constitutes A
few" bulbs.

In the mean time, I keep telling myself "Your carport is already
full."
--
pyotr filipivich