Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Unusual gifts

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I was given a "dead" golf cart. It took almost $6 to fix it and I
sold it for $950, then gave the gifter a Benji for the trouble.
A 1-foot battery cable was the culprit, preventing the charger from
working, too. I had started to clean the battery terminals when I
found it, and couldn't stop chuckling.

There's some subtle engineering in those things to keep the cost down.
I was initially puzzled by the relay in the charger that only
energizes the output when connected to a battery. The charger wasn't
working because the capacitor in the tank circuit of the transformer
was bad, a problem that a DVM doesn't show.

Fortunately I learned about ferroresonant and magnetic amplifier
circuits in the Army.

-jsw