Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default supermarket fuel

In article , Bob Eager
scribeth thus
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:25:28 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2015 09:13, charles wrote:
In article , Andrew Mawson
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 20/08/2015 22:19, Bill Wright wrote:
An expert that I trust says that supermarket fuel isn't as good as
other fuel. He says it's all down to the additives.

Comments?

Bill

Ask the expert what the others put in that the supermarkets don't
and you will have your answer.

Has anyone (eg a motoring organisation) done any comparisons on mpg
and general smoothness of engine (difficult to quantify the latter!)
for various brands of supermarket fuel versus various brands from
named fuel chains (Jet, Esso, Shell, Texaco etc)?

The only time I've noticed a slightly smoother engine (though no
significant improvement in mpg) was when I accidently filled up with
premium diesel instead of standard diesel - and a lot of that may
have been wishful thinking to compensate for paying through the nose
for the "gold plated" fuel :-) I wouldn't have minded quite so much
but I'd driven past loads of garages on my journey, holding out for
the cheapest garage that I happened to pass, and then when I found a
cheap garage I went and used the premium holster instead of the
standard one. Shame they aren't different colours (eg black versus
black with yellow stripes, or something like that).

Many years back, the father of my then current girl friend was adamant
that he would only use Shell, and never BP as his Rover 110 went so
much better on it. I wasn't popular when I pointed out that (at the
time) they shared a delivery fleet and the same tanker delivered both
so they were the same.

Point of the story - it's very subjective and the judgement is
coloured by preconceptions.

Like the Austin/Morris arguement

The Morris / Austin argument was also fuelled by having differing ranges
of accessories.

The most amusing car I saw from BMC was the Vanden Plas - 1100! The
owners of course swore it was faster, more economical, built better,
etc...

Same thing in the TV field there was a Dynatron just a standard BRC
chassis like their lowly brethren but it had a nice "cabinet"

Apparently they had or once had the Royal Warrant to the Queen who
supposedly had one at Buck palace....

--
Tony Sayer