Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default supermarket fuel

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
The most amusing car I saw from BMC was the Vanden Plas - 1100! The
owners of course swore it was faster, more economical, built better,
etc...

Yes, bog-standard 1100 with VdP extras like wooden dashboard and Rolls Royce
type radiator grille. Not sure whether there was thicker carpet and deeper
padding / lumbar adjustment etc on seats.

Probably different dashboard instruments - maybe circular gauges rather than
ribbon speedo with combined fuel/temp gauges in bottom corners. I can never
remember - was it the Austin or Morris version that had the ribbon speedo?
Which of those two was regarded as the base version and which was one step
up?

My grandpa replaced his big Wolseley 16/60 (Austin Cambridge / Morris Oxford
body) with a Wolseley 1100 (complete with illuminated radiator badge!) but
got rid of it fairly soon after because it wasn't "luxurious" enough - he
got a Triumph Dolomite after that.