Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default led floodlight

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:24:36 +0100, RJH wrote:

There are a couple of flood lights at a farm the other side and a
further down the valley. We are 3/4 of a mile and 300' *higher*

than
that farm but those floods give enough light to read by up here...

I think that's a bit much. Light pollution is something some take very
seriously - in the same ball park as say noise and air pollution.
Sheffield University and Derbyshire Council did some lobbying/studies
recently. I went to a talk on stars (or some such) and they were getting
very animated about the whole thing.

Dark Skies.

http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/i...ky_places.html

The North Pennines AONB could probably apply but would need the
cooperation of 3 county coucils and a fair few District Councils to
enforce/change the lighting requirements. Galloway Forest and
Northumberland have a the single park authority to do that.

Was a nice night last night just after midnight, Milky Way arching
right over head, naff all Perseids. I was out for a good half hour I
think I saw one out of the corner of my eye ...

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC
some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

http://www.isstracker.com/historical

--