Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default led floodlight

Hello,

I wanted to install a floodlight to light my garden in the winter.

What is Eterna like as a brand? Is it better than the "no-name" makes
out there?

I've seen two of their lamps on CPC; both are rated 20W and give the
same output in lumens.

http://cpc.farnell.com/eterna/fledb2...ght/dp/LA04553

http://cpc.farnell.com/eterna/fl20sm...0lm/dp/LA05161

The first is rated IP65 whereas the second is "only" IP44 but the main
difference is that the first has a colour temperature of 6200K whereas
the second is 4000K

Has anyone tried either of these? Which would you go for? I'm worried
the first one might look too blue? Does it?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:41:34 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to install a floodlight to light my garden in the winter.

What is Eterna like as a brand? Is it better than the "no-name" makes
out there?

I've seen two of their lamps on CPC; both are rated 20W and give the
same output in lumens.

http://cpc.farnell.com/eterna/fledb2...ght/dp/LA04553

http://cpc.farnell.com/eterna/fl20sm...0lm/dp/LA05161

The first is rated IP65 whereas the second is "only" IP44 but the main
difference is that the first has a colour temperature of 6200K whereas
the second is 4000K

Has anyone tried either of these? Which would you go for? I'm worried
the first one might look too blue? Does it?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Yes some give a very "cold" looking white but they may be more
efficient than the warm white ones in terms of lumens/watt

The mirrored reflector is just for show and plays no part in beam
forming, the housing simply casts a shadow.
Consequently, you have to angle them downwards to a greater extent
than many people realise, to keep the incident light out of the eyes
of friendly witnesses and observers, and the windows of the houses
opposite.
I know this because I am on the receiving end of one.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
The first is rated IP65 whereas the second is "only" IP44 but the main
difference is that the first has a colour temperature of 6200K whereas
the second is 4000K

Has anyone tried either of these? Which would you go for? I'm worried
the first one might look too blue? Does it?

'Cold' might be ok in this instance - to look more like moonlight. And is
usually more efficient with LEDs.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Stephen" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I wanted to install a floodlight to light my garden in the winter.

What is Eterna like as a brand? Is it better than the "no-name" makes
out there?

Eterna is a cheap known name.

However as the market demands cheap LED floodlights for £30 a pop that is
all you will get.

Give it 3-5 years and then replace it when it fails.

It's better than replacing 500W halogen lamps every 3 months.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:53:05 +0100, Graham. wrote:

The first is rated IP65 whereas the second is "only" IP44 but the

main
difference

For something that is exposed to the weather IP44 may as well not
have a case... Check the descriptions carefully, if stainless screws
are mentioned is it just the ones holding the glass bezel in place or
the ones that attach the lamp to the bracket as well? The latter are
often omited from the stainless description and are "chromed" steel
that show signs of rust within 24hrs of being outside...

is that the first has a colour temperature of 6200K whereas the

second
is 4000K

6200 k will look very blue and cold. Personally I don't like
"daylight" unless it is at real daylight levels. I've a 10 W "White"
LED flood it's OK but if buying again I'd look for something
"warmer".

Consequently, you have to angle them downwards to a greater extent
than many people realise, to keep the incident light out of the eyes
of friendly witnesses and observers, and the windows of the houses
opposite.

That applies to the bog standard halogen type as well, ours is almost
horizontal to keep the "hot spot" out of the eyes of approaching
drivers.

I know this because I am on the receiving end of one.

There are a couple of flood lights at a farm the other side and a
further down the valley. We are 3/4 of a mile and 300' *higher* than
that farm but those floods give enough light to read by up here...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

That applies to the bog standard halogen type as well, ours is almost
horizontal to keep the "hot spot" out of the eyes of approaching
drivers.

I know this because I am on the receiving end of one.

There are a couple of flood lights at a farm the other side and a
further down the valley. We are 3/4 of a mile and 300' *higher* than
that farm but those floods give enough light to read by up here...

I do try:-)

The 125 Watt halogen reflectors can't be tilted down to keep the light
on your own land because the sensor gets in the way:-(

I suppose this could be overcome by changing the mounting bracket but
for a *use off the shelf* item, this is poor design.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

The mirrored reflector is just for show and plays no part in beam
forming, the housing simply casts a shadow.
Consequently, you have to angle them downwards to a greater extent
than many people realise, to keep the incident light out of the eyes
of friendly witnesses and observers, and the windows of the houses
opposite.
I know this because I am on the receiving end of one.

Black insulating tape on the glass is a good way of confining the beam.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:43:47 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Eterna is a cheap known name.

However as the market demands cheap LED floodlights for £30 a pop that is
all you will get.

Thanks. What i9s a better quality known name?

It doesn't have to be LED necessarily as it will only be switched on
for brief periods.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:48:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

For something that is exposed to the weather IP44 may as well not
have a case... Check the descriptions carefully, if stainless screws
are mentioned is it just the ones holding the glass bezel in place or
the ones that attach the lamp to the bracket as well? The latter are
often omited from the stainless description and are "chromed" steel
that show signs of rust within 24hrs of being outside...

6200 k will look very blue and cold. Person

It seems that the IP44 one has the better colour but not the weather
proofing but the weatherproofed one will be too blue! Perhaps I need
to find a third option.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2015 18:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:53:05 +0100, Graham. wrote:

/snip

That applies to the bog standard halogen type as well, ours is almost
horizontal to keep the "hot spot" out of the eyes of approaching
drivers.

I know this because I am on the receiving end of one.

There are a couple of flood lights at a farm the other side and a
further down the valley. We are 3/4 of a mile and 300' *higher* than
that farm but those floods give enough light to read by up here...

I think that's a bit much. Light pollution is something some take very
seriously - in the same ball park as say noise and air pollution.
Sheffield University and Derbyshire Council did some lobbying/studies
recently. I went to a talk on stars (or some such) and they were getting
very animated about the whole thing.

Might be worth contacting your council if it bothers you.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:24:36 +0100, RJH wrote:

There are a couple of flood lights at a farm the other side and a
further down the valley. We are 3/4 of a mile and 300' *higher*

than
that farm but those floods give enough light to read by up here...

I think that's a bit much. Light pollution is something some take very
seriously - in the same ball park as say noise and air pollution.
Sheffield University and Derbyshire Council did some lobbying/studies
recently. I went to a talk on stars (or some such) and they were getting
very animated about the whole thing.

Dark Skies.

http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/i...ky_places.html

The North Pennines AONB could probably apply but would need the
cooperation of 3 county coucils and a fair few District Councils to
enforce/change the lighting requirements. Galloway Forest and
Northumberland have a the single park authority to do that.

Was a nice night last night just after midnight, Milky Way arching
right over head, naff all Perseids. I was out for a good half hour I
think I saw one out of the corner of my eye ...

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:39:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Dim is not the word for CFL at near freezing ... glimmer is closer.
And they take even longer to warm up. If it's simply going to be on
and left on there is little to choose between CFL and LED (ATM). But
if it's just switched on to call the cat or move the bin, remember to
switch the CFL on 5 mins before you go out...

The cat and bin usage is exactly what I will be using it for.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:16:09 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

I don't think there any better alternatives. They are all about the same
price and all are made to the lowest possible budget.

I fitted two 20W Brackenheath LED floods with PIR today. I can highly
recommend you avoid using them. The PIR sensor is mounted in such a way that
the light cannot be tilted down by much of an angle.

I was not going to have a PIR or if I add one, I thought I would use a
separate unit because as others have said, you can never aim the PIR
and the light without moving the other.

I have found TLC sell ledlite:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFB10WW.html

Has anyone used these?

The literature says they use COB LEDS, what are these? They are
supposed to be better than surface mount LEDS. Are they (and why)?

It says they come in warm white but does not give a colour
temperature. They come as 10w or 30w. The 10w gives an equivalent to
70w incandescent output; I wonder if that will be too dim? I thought a
150w equivalent might be better, on the basis that 150w bulbs used to
be used for this purpose.

Thanks
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:48:23 +0100, Stephen wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:03:58 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

The halogen bulbs will still blow often enough to be annoying.

Fit an LED one and then not have to worry about it for a few years at
least

I was thinking perhaps CFL as a compromise, if the colour was better,
though perhaps it would be dim when cold?

I got a CFL floodlight from Lidl a few years ago. It's quite a 'cool' light,
but not blue, and comes on brightly even in Winter. The lamp isn't
replaceable but, as it's used for just when the dogs go out, it should last
well.

Nowadays I'd want LED and something better designed for illuminated area.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You don't say what area you're wanting to illuminate. I thought long and
hard before settling on a bulkhead PIR, but the area is not large. Chose it
on the basis that other idiots had bloody great floodlights which shine into
everyone else's properties. I did not see the need to do so. YMMV
This is what I have:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLEB60PB.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
[...]

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC
some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

http://www.isstracker.com/historical

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

They are all about the same IMHO.

I still light the front garden and my van with a 35W CDM-T flood light and a
dusk till dawn sensor for CCTV reasons. I get nice colour rendering:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC
some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

http://www.isstracker.com/historical

Hmm... maybe. Definitely North South.

This thing appeared to tumble which I assume the ISS does not do.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC
some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

http://www.isstracker.com/historical

Hmm... maybe. Definitely North South.

This thing appeared to tumble which I assume the ISS does not do.

Umm.. 23:10 on the 12th. Crossing France NW-SE. My eyesight must be
better than I thought:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC
some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

http://www.isstracker.com/historical

Hmm... maybe. Definitely North South.

This thing appeared to tumble which I assume the ISS does not do.

That might have been diffraction thru the air in the atmosphere
otherwise just an olde UFO. They've been around longer than I have;(....

I think there still some polar orbiting satellites but there not that
big .

Have a look on,

http://www.heavens-above.com/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

[...]

I checked the ISS passes for my recollection of the time and they don't
really coincide. Too low in the sky to the West and , as you say, moving
to the SE.

This object was directly overhead and heading South. Visible for a bit
over 1 minute. I think an aircraft travelling at that apparent speed
would have been audible and low enough for the navigation lights to be
seen.

UFO agreed:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Lamb
escribió:

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

If that was about 9.45pm, it was the space station.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Tim Lamb
escribió:

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

If that was about 9.45pm, it was the space station.

Overhead, Eastern England?

Just before bedtime, my estimate is after 11.00pm.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Lamb
escribió:

Overhead, Eastern England?

Just before bedtime, my estimate is after 11.00pm.

I get the email notifications from NASA customised for my location.

They tell you when and where the ISS will rise, how long it'll be
visible for, how high in the sky it will be, and where it will set.

It saves you scanning the whole sky - instead you know exactly where it
will be.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

[...]

Interesting site. Sadly they don't seem to think we should be star
gazing between 22.00 and 03.00 on the 12/13th August.

As you say, not many going North South. What does a magnitude of 4.5
correspond to starwise?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Tim Lamb
escribió:

Overhead, Eastern England?

Just before bedtime, my estimate is after 11.00pm.

I get the email notifications from NASA customised for my location.

They tell you when and where the ISS will rise, how long it'll be
visible for, how high in the sky it will be, and where it will set.

It saves you scanning the whole sky - instead you know exactly where it
will be.

I was just curious. Only about 10deg. SW on the nearest pass to the time
I thought I saw something.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
That might have been diffraction thru the air in the atmosphere
otherwise just an olde UFO. They've been around longer than I have;(....

I think there still some polar orbiting satellites but there not that
big .

Have a look on,

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Interesting site. Sadly they don't seem to think we should be star
gazing between 22.00 and 03.00 on the 12/13th August.

As you say, not many going North South. What does a magnitude of 4.5
correspond to starwise?

Betelgeuse?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus

[...]

Brain spasm alert! Presumably because low orbit stuff would be in shadow
over the UK at those times.

Rather points to a fast moving aircraft.

As you say, not many going North South. What does a magnitude of 4.5
correspond to starwise?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 08:52:55 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is
heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St.
Albans all within a few miles.

Our biggest source of light polution is Teeside about 40 miles away.
If you know where to look Carlisle (30 miles) produces a little patch
of orange on the horizon. Tyneside p

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

Or a bit a of junk. Around a couple of hours after sunset the sky is
crawling with visible satellites. Couple of hours as by that time
it's dark enough on the surface but the satellies are still in full
sun.

There is an Android app "Space Junk" that lists and plots a lot if
not all the visible bits of junk/satelites that is hurtling around up
there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:15:20 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I also saw what appeared to be a satellite of some sort,

travelling
North - South and much too fast to be an aircraft.

If that was about 9.45pm, it was the space station.

Overhead, Eastern England?

Wouldn't rule it out but the ISS is very bright, something that
attracts your attention. The first time I saw MIR it was a "WTF is
that, aliens?" moment, quite fast, very bright (think venus bright).
Came in and checked the Heavens Above web site.

Ordinary satellites look like medium brightness stars but then you
notice it moving.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:14:22 +0100, Stephen wrote:

They come as 10w or 30w. The 10w gives an equivalent to 70w incandescent
output; I wonder if that will be too dim?

For the dog/cat/bins it'll be ample, added advantge is that the
shadows or areas outside it's reach are not pitch black hiding a
whole tribe of tea leaves.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2015 08:52, Tim Lamb wrote:

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what
appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and
much too fast to be an aircraft.

I saw three satellites, and no Perseids. /She/ is really p***d off by
the barn owl that went past me at head height 10ft away. I've never seen
one so close!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

It's better than replacing 500W halogen lamps every 3 months.

usually by then the steel screw holding the two halves of the enclosure
together has well and truly rusted in and your chances of getting it out
intact are close to nil. Or the PIR has failed.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

er.co.uk escribió:

It's better than replacing 500W halogen lamps every 3 months.

usually by then the steel screw holding the two halves of the enclosure
together has well and truly rusted in and your chances of getting it out
intact are close to nil. Or the PIR has failed.

You drill out the screw and use M6 roofing nuts and bolts to replace it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

r.co.uk escribió:

You drill out the screw and use M6 roofing nuts and bolts to replace it

30 ft up on a ladder?

May as well replace the whole unit, they're cheap enough.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
er.co.uk escribió:

It's better than replacing 500W halogen lamps every 3 months.

usually by then the steel screw holding the two halves of the enclosure
together has well and truly rusted in and your chances of getting it out
intact are close to nil. Or the PIR has failed.

You drill out the screw and use M6 roofing nuts and bolts to replace it.

Been there too often.

Anything Chinese Export exposed to the weather gets the screws changed
to stainless (if I remember:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

r.co.uk escribió:

You drill out the screw and use M6 roofing nuts and bolts to replace it

30 ft up on a ladder?

May as well replace the whole unit, they're cheap enough.

Both tasks should be as easy as each other at 30ft on a ladder:-)

I'll work up to 20ft on a ladder at a push, but anything after 15ft I find
uncomfortable.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 17:28, Tim Lamb wrote:

Anything Chinese Export exposed to the weather gets the screws changed
to stainless (if I remember:-(

I used to apply grease to the screw before installing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 22:48, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 17:28, Tim Lamb wrote:

Anything Chinese Export exposed to the weather gets the screws changed
to stainless (if I remember:-(

I used to apply grease to the screw before installing

I'm still using some 40 year old copaslip. I will run out one day or
lose it in the shed I suppose.